How to Expand Love Today (and Every Day)
Feb 14, 2022
Each February we see a heightened focus on Valentines Day and romantic love. While I’m all for beautiful romantic relationships, I’d love to see the Love Month concentrate on ways to expand love within ourselves, our families, our communities, and our world.
Might sound like a tall order, but not really. Very doable.
How could we “expand love” within ourselves? Here’s a few ideas:
- Spend quiet time in nature. Take a silent walk and use all your senses to truly be in the experience.
- Listen to music that touches your soul.
- Cuddle with your pet or volunteer at the local animal shelter (everyone benefits)
- Take a few minutes to shut your eyes, put your hand on your heart and imagine breathing in, and out of your heart space.
- Write in your journal using a prompt such as: “I feel loved and loving when_____” then act on what you wrote.
- Write a love letter to yourself. Mail it.
- BONUS: OK, here’s the big one I learned from the incredible Louise Hay. Go to a mirror, look into your own eyes, use your name and say, “_______ I love you. I really love you.” (Here’s a quick video explaining this process.)
How could we expand love within our families, friends, and community? I got you covered. Start here:
- Greet everyone with an open heart, without an agenda, judgement, or expectation.
- Say, pray or write a simple “thank you” to someone who has touched your life.
- Send a text, email or letter telling someone you love and appreciate them.
- Donate to a cause you believe in.
- Pay for a stranger’s coffee, meal, or groceries.
- Make a surprise phone call or visit to someone going through a challenge.
- Send a gift to recognize someone you appreciate.
- Pray and send love to an individual, family or group. See them surrounded in light.
- Ask a friend or family member to meditate with you or invite them to watch an uplifting show or documentary together. (This works in person or online.)
- BONUS: Forgive. One of the most significant actions a human can take is to forgive quickly, completely, and unconditionally. This can feel BIG. Take a breath, go inside and ask, “how do I begin to forgive here?” (Need a bit more guidance? I spoke about forgiveness on Episodes 50 and 51 of this podcast.)
How can we expand love in our world? So this might seem like a big ask, but I don’t think so. Here’s a few simple suggestions:
- Be curious as you explore global topics that interest you. Strive to understand various viewpoints and be guided by your heart toward loving action.
- Join groups that are working toward solutions you believe in.
- Donate time, resources, and experience to causes that move you wherever they are in the world.
- Think about each of us as part of the “oneness.” (I believe we never left the light of the ALL.)
- Bless Mother Earth. Bless every person, animal, plant, all of nature including oceans and bodies of water, cities, towns, EVERYTHING on, below and above our precious planet.
- BONUS: See the world at peace, surrounded in love. Spend time envisioning a respectful, compassionate, inclusive world where people join in loving collaboration to create thriving communities for all. This is a vital first step in expanding love in our world.
These are just a few ways you can expand love today and every day. It’s not hard. Pick one and start. And invite your friends to do the same. That’s how love expands in our lives, our communities and beyond.
Happy Love Month!